Monday, September 25, 2017

Educate. Empathize. Coexist. - Tazjana Lebrilla

(This blog is 19th of a long series of profiles on friends and acquaintances I have met in my life journey, and 3rd on my former Montessori students. I invited them to share my spot because I believe in synergy, where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. We are parts of the whole, and together we are indeed great!)

(Photo by Guisseppe Gumban)

Tazjana and her sisters were my students when I taught at Iloilo Montessori International School. I remember her as serene, soft-spoken, and almost shy. Her parents were peaceful, quiet, and gracious in every manner. Now, many years later, it is no wonder that Tazj has retained her serenity in the midst of what she sees as a divided world.

***

Dot: What can you remember about your Montessori childhood?

Tazjana: I have a lot of memories from my Montessori childhood and every single one of them is dear to my heart. It would take a while to mention all of them but in general, I remember preparing every morning, feeling like I was going out to play - not go to school. Montessori taught me in a way that made learning feel more like playing. They made learning fun! I would go to school excited for the day ahead as it was filled with building blocks, sandboxes, painting, library time, show and tell, running around in the playground, and even answering exciting worksheets. I remember going to a restaurant to learn about fine dining. I cried because I ate so slow; everybody else finished before me, ha, ha, ha! But even then, I still enjoyed that experience. I learned so much while having the time of my life.


Dot: Did your parents make any reference to your Montessori education while you were growing up?

Tazjana: My parents have always taken pride in the fact that I started learning and still continue to learn in a nonconventional way. They believe I have Montessori to thank for this. While they do place value on grades and such, they always want to make sure that I approach everything I do with a curious mind and a passionate heart. They didn’t pressure or police my sisters and me. Thus, we never placed too much pressure on ourselves to be whatever society expects us to be and allowed ourselves to drift towards what moves us. We developed a love for other aspects of learning such as music and the arts. I must say, all those acting and dancing performances in Montessori were really great experiences that inculcated culture in us.


Dot: What are your interests or passions?

Tazjana: I love writing. I’ve been writing for as long as I can remember. I write short stories, poems, etc. I admit that for quite some time, as I grew up, I pushed it aside and turned to writing research papers and journals instead, ha, ha, ha! However, the passion for writing is always there. I also enjoy a lot of sports. I am a big basketball and football fan. I used to play, but health concerns have since prevented me from playing. I remain an avid sports fan. I just love discovering new things - may it be about food, places, or people. I love hearing people’s stories and finding out ways to make a difference in their lives.


Dot: In terms of career, advocacy, mission, or education, are you now doing what you really love? Can you tell me about it?

Tazjana: Yes, absolutely. I recently graduated from Ateneo de Manila University with a Master’s degree in Counseling Psychology. I envision myself being an agent for change in the mental health aspect of our country. I’m currently working as a psychologist in training in a Psychology center in Manila and would like to specialize in training and doing therapy on kids and adolescents. I guess it could be seen as both my career and advocacy. I know the space for growth is still big and I have a long way to go but I have a sanguine view to all of it. I love children and I believe their critical years should be given the utmost attention. I want to guide them as they grow up and their mental health is my main concern. I am passionate about this and I believe this is where I’m meant to be.


Dot: What wonderful things are you seeing in the world now?

Tazjana: To be quite honest, one would have to exert a bit of mental effort to see wonderful things in the world right now especially since bad news seem to be coming from all fronts. I’m chagrined every time I see hateful acts especially when the media magnifies them. However, there are little joys and victories that are worth noting. I believe, despite the seemingly bigger divide in the world now, there are people who continue to fight for other people’s rights, may it be for men, women, LGBT, people of a different race and/or religion. The voice of judgment, discrimination, and violence has been loud, but more recently, the voice of love and acceptance is becoming increasingly louder. Only a number of people are blind sheep running toward a cliff. The rest of us are fighting until the end until love and acceptance is the norm. This strengthens my faith in humanity.


Dot: Given a chance to be a world leader, what would be your greatest work? Why?

Tazjana: My interest in mental health sprung from my concern for children. For me, it has and will always be for the children. Therefore, I will consider it my greatest work if I am able to give each child a home, proper nourishment, a caring family, and the assurance of education. If not all, as many as I will be able to. Children’s mental health is greatly influenced and shaped by the things around them. If I will be able to make these factors as stable as possible for them, then I will be happy.


Dot: If the universe gave you $500,000 next week, how will you use it?

Tazjana: First and foremost, I would give a good part of all that money to my parents. Who I am and whatever I have achieved in my life is greatly because of them. They deserve all the comforts of the world so if I can give them that, I would do so in a heartbeat. I would also help my siblings with whatever they may need. Basically, family comes first for me. Secondly, I would invest in a good home, a car, the necessities of life. It has been a dream of mine to build my own home. I would invest the rest in a Psychological clinic for therapy and assessment and devote the rest of my life to seeing this clinic grow. This is my goal in life and I would love to see it come to fruition.


Dot: What message can you give to parents? Educators? Leaders? Young people?


Tazjana: There is so much power in your hands. I implore you to use it wisely. Please cultivate the culture of education in whatever way, shape or form that may take. Educate the future generation because there is no greater gift one can receive than education. This is every individual’s greatest tool in creating a good future for themselves. It will forever be in their arsenal. This is also what will create a more united and peaceful world. When people are educated, when they are given the ability to discern and take responsibility for their words and actions, they are able to see things outside of their own line of sight. Thus, they are able to practice open-mindedness and empathy. We need more empathy. It’s humanity’s last line of defense from the horrors of this world. It will make the world a better and safer place to live in. Educate. Empathize. Coexist.

***

Tazjana, or Tanya to her friends, can be contacted via
Twitter: toitanya
Instagram: tzjnlbrll

No comments:

Post a Comment