Sunday, April 23, 2017

"Nobody Should Be Left Behind" - Leonides Ramos

This blog begins a long series of profiles on friends and acquaintances I have met in my life journey. I invited them to share my spot because I believe in synergy, where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. We are parts of the whole, and together we are indeed great!

* * *

Leonides Ramos, or “Igor Woods,” as he was introduced to me by our dear friend Arnel Mediran, hails from Bulacan, Philippines. He travels extensively with his wife and sometimes with his two daughters and son as part of his expertise as geological consultant.

Leo figured in a vacation accident over a year ago; he jumped from a cliff onto a river and hit the edge of a bamboo raft, thus fracturing his leg and causing him iron-clad immobility for 377 days. Yes, he counted the days and posted his progress on Facebook! What is striking for me (no pun intended) about this event in his life is his grit and faith peppered by his never-ending sense of humor.

Just recently, the rings and the cast were removed and Leo took this self-portrait with the following description: “early morning selfie by me on the way to my cast extraction at the hospital. I like it because it shows apprehension and hope at the same time. Ha, ha, ha.. it was a stolen selfie.”


I asked Leo his most immediate thoughts on some topics. Here are his answers which, I believe, show us his source of courage and lightness of being.

Q: What do you think are the best positive lessons you learned from your parents that are valuable to you now as an adult?

A: From my father, I would say it has to be independent thinking, self reliance, and a deep sense of responsibility and self control. From my mother, I learned the value of hard work and the art of being wisely frugal. The sense of humor favors my father. From my wife, patience.

Q: What are your top three wins/successes in life?

A: When my wife said yes, when my kids were born, and my first million in the stock market.

Q: Who are your three or four role models (living or not)?

A: Jesus Christ for his charisma and ultimate selfless sacrifice, Mahatma Gandhi for austere lifestyle and his beliefs in non-violence, Adolph Hitler for his brutality and absolute focus in getting what he wants and the Dalai Lama for his everyday wisdom and inspiration. And, oh, Chuck Norris for his imagined invincibility. Ha, ha, ha!

Q: What great spiritual or esoteric lessons have you learned as an adult?

A: Let the boss or the wife talk first. If you can't say anything good, keep your silence. In a discussion, stand up when it's your turn, speak up your mind, and then shut up.

Q: How do you take care of yourself?

A: Physically, I watch what I eat...so no can grab it away. Ha, ha, ha… Seriously, I am an occasionally moody eater. I eat depending on my mood and occasion. Emotionally, I turn to my family and friends for comfort and support. Spiritually, I turn the pages of the greatest book ever written...The Bible. I don't have a guru middleman. I'd like to think that I have developed this directly personal and more intimate relationship with my concept of God. Mentally, it would always be travels, books, and the internet.

Q: What beautiful changes are you seeing in the world now?

A: People are more aware of the environment now because changes are directly affecting them now.

Q: Do you have a legacy / life work that you would like to leave the world?

A: My children should be my legacy when I die. How I raised them is testimony to how I lived, loved, and suffered.

Q: What is your current advocacy or focus?

A: To do Samaritan things and give back all the things which I feel were given to me in excess...blessings, kindness and all the material things. God has been very generous to me and I am sharing as much as I can. My main advocacy is youth empowerment through education. Our website is The Giant Roof Foundation - http://thegiantroof.tripod.com

Q: What encouragement would you like to give your friends and family?

A: Be God-fearing and people-loving individuals. Travel when you can for a long as you can. Do not let the banks enjoy your monies. Eat what you like when you like but all in moderation. I have always wanted to make a difference in this planet in my own small ways. Maybe by just carrying that pebble across the road or sending a kid to school. Anything that may give an individual a fighting chance in life...call me. I believe that nobody should be left behind...even when the rapture comes. Life is not merely ones and zeros...it has to be lived to become an inspiration to others. Life is what you make it. And that's all I have to say about that.


Here’s to Leo, his wisdom, and his advocacies!

No comments:

Post a Comment