Sunday, June 4, 2017

I Really Love What I Do: Social Transformation Through Self-Mastery - Hermz Gacho

(This blog is 11th of a long series of profiles on friends and acquaintances I have met in my life journey. I invited them to share my spot because I believe in synergy, where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. We are parts of the whole, and together we are indeed great!)

Hermz Gacho is a cheerful young poet-scientist who is actively passionate about his culture and environment.

And that’s as far as I knew about Hermz. After meeting him a few times in workshops in Iloilo, I wondered about his life path. I read a couple of his poems and I loved them, so I sent him my questionnaire last month. Read on.

(Photo by Alex Manlapao)
***

Dot: Please tell me a little bit about yourself and your passion or advocacy. What motivates you to pursue your advocacy?

Hermz: I love the outdoors, I love to experiment, I love to read, I love to watch movies, I love to act, I like to write poems in Hiligaynon. I am pretty interested in indigenous culture and knowledge and conservation of our heritage. My motivation for doing these is that I really love what I do and I am geared towards social transformation by self mastery and continuous learning and mentoring others.


Dot: (Wow!) So far, what great spiritual or esoteric lessons have you learned?

Hermz: 1) Trusting the universe on things beyond my control and doing something that the universe prepared me to do. 2) Manifesting change by doing simple acts of kindness and love.


Dot: What are the best positive lessons you learned from your parents that you want to pass on to your children?

Hermz: From my father, I learned to love unconditionally and be always forgiving. From my mother - taking care of myself and making myself a priority once in a while in order to be of service to others. I want to pass on to my children these things: love and compassion to all beings; passion in whatever they do; and their self-love to sustain them in whatever endeavor and service they want to bring out to the world.


Dot: Can you tell me about your top three wins or successes in life?

Hermz: 1) Building a community of young, passionate environmental advocates. 2) Connecting people with the same advocacies. 3) Inspiring others to look for their passion in life. Those are my three successes in life.


Dot: Have they something to do with your lessons?

Hermz: Yes, they are pretty much connected to my life lessons.


Dot: Who are your three or four role models and what makes them your role models?

Hermz: First, my Biology professor, Joselito Mendoza, encouraged and inspired me as a teacher and advocate. He was the one who introduced me to "outdoor learning," "research," and quotes like: "The world has enough for man's need but not for man's greed" by Gandhi. He always repeated to us: "You cannot give what you do not have," which is very applicable to everything I do.

Second, Roger Galvan, my Philippine History professor and Debate coach. He opened my eyes and heart to history. He gave amazing perspectives like no other History professors have done. He used a lot of learning approaches in class, from role-playing to investigative research, film making, analysis of Ambeth Ocampo's articles, and a lot more. He probably gave me that strong background on the art of teaching and how to engage the youth in social issues.

Third is Nicanor Perlas. He was the one who gave me a holistic perspective on life and beyond. He strengthened and verified all of the things that I got from my previous professors and added a spiritual dimension to them.


Dot: And so what beautiful changes are you seeing in the world now?

Hermz: I see that people are already becoming more connected and are striving to create a community and a movement that will challenge the problems of our society today. I see people are planning more and getting more ideas, researches, initiatives, and innovations that are making a significant difference in our world.


Dot: In connection with these changes, how do you take care of yourself physically? Emotionally? Spiritually? Mentally?

Hermz: Physically, I still do outdoor activities such as biking, mountaineering, or snorkeling. Emotionally, I practice writing about people. I try to express my feelings through writing. Spiritually and mentally, I practice Zazen to communicate with my body, my emotions, and the higher beings and to clear my mind with day to day tasks.


Dot: What legacy would you like to leave the world?

Hermz: I just want to leave a legacy of authentic love to all beings regardless of whatever or whoever they may be. I want to leave the legacy that people have the freedom and courage to choose their life path; they have the freedom to redeem themselves.


Dot: Do you have any encouragement for your family and friends?

Hermz: I encourage my family and friends to love one another and to be true to their self and their calling.


Dot: How can you be contacted?

Hermz: People can connect with me through email or message me on Facebook. My email is hermzmerkury12@gmail.com. Until the end of the year, I’ll be in Quezon City, Dakila Office in Kalayaan Avenue. Next year I will be back in Negros Occidental for my thesis on the Monitoring of the Critically Endangered Negros Bleeding Heart Pigeon (Gallicolumba keayi) and its reintroduction back in the wild in Danjugan island. Thank you for this interview, Ms. Dot. This is a wonderful reminder for all Seekers and Change-Makers.

***

So now, I know a bit more about this Seeker and Change-Maker, and I am duly impressed. To close this blog, let me post one of his poems (sorry, no English translation):


Lumlum Sa idalom,
Sa madulom,
Sa pinakamainit nga kurông.

Ang manok ni Lola Lucing,
Naga lumlum sa iya mga chikiting,
Sa idalom sang balay,
Naga kamang ako nga daw subay.

Para lang makita ang mga pisô,
Ako ya daw si intó,
Naga ligid sa mga itî,
Ang lawas ko daw puno sang asaytî.

Sa pagbuka sang itlog,
May kabuhi nga gaka tulog,
Pamatyagan ko ang bilog nga kalibutan nag buylog,
Sa simple nga okasyon,
Nga ako isa lang ka miron,
Daw damo damo nga ga samo samo nga mga emosyon,
Ang akon nabaton.

Sa pagbuka sang itlog,
Ang simple nga bilog,
Nangin may kabuhi, may kusog,
Sa pagbuka sang itlog,
Ang pag lumlum sa madulom,
Nangin matahum!

No comments:

Post a Comment